A LINQ to VFP user recently suggested that I write a LINQPad provider that could be used to access VFP data. This sounded like an interesting idea so I gave it a shot…
This blog entry provides a simple overview on how to use the driver. The first thing you need to do is get the driver – which can be found in the LINQ to VFP download or as part of the NuGet download.
Install the driver (must be x86 LINQPad build):
Click “Add connection” link
Click the “View more drivers…” button
Click the “Browse…” button
- Open the LinqToVfpLinqPadDriver.lpx file
Connect to your database container (or free tables directory).
- If you just added the LinqToVfpLinqPadDriver you will continue to the “Choose Data Context” screen (otherwise you need to hit the “Add connection” link)
- Select the LINQ to VFP driver and then click the “Next >” button
- Enter a full connection string or click the “Locate Database Container…” link which will build a connection string for you.
After installing the driver and setting up your connection you can start querying and manipulating your data.
Here is an example of a query.
You can also see the generated sql command.
Here is an example of manipulating the data.
* Cetin Basoz posted a video showing how to install the LINQPad driver.